21/02/2020 0 Comments
What Can Porcelain Veneers Do For Me?
Are your bad teeth becoming a source of stress and anxiety? Improve the function and appearance of your mouth, teeth and smile with cosmetic dentistry. You can easily straighten, lighten and reshape your teeth to achieve a naturally beautiful smile. Porcelain veneers are one of the most popular options to go for today. At Integrity Dental, you can combine it with other cosmetic treatments like teeth whitening and dental crowns.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
These are thin and durable medical-grade ceramic shells. They are shaped and attached to the flawed tooth enamel to cover cosmetic flaws. It was invented in 1928 by Charles Pincus, a California dentist, for actors to quickly improve their appearance before film shoots.
Over time, the technology has improved, and now it can be explicitly made to fit over the visible surface of your teeth. This is similar to an artificial fingernail fitting.
Am I a Porcelain Veneer Candidate?
Your dentist will be the best person to determine your candidacy for veneers. You will be asked to maintain good oral health with existing dental and periodontal problems addressed before the treatment. With porcelain veneers, you can resolve multiple structural or cosmetic issues with your teeth like:
- Covering chips, cracks and discoloration - As we age, our teeth become weaker and more prone to cracking and chipping. Even if they are damaged due to other reasons, veneers can cover them efficiently.
- Maintaining your natural tooth structure - Our tooth enamel erodes over time making the teeth more vulnerable to damage. It is the outermost layer of our teeth protecting the subsequent layers. Veneers are attached to the enamel providing an additional layer of security.
- Avoiding large gaps between the teeth - All our teeth may not be uniformly spaced and some can be larger than the others. Veneers can cover such irregularity in a way to make them unnoticeable.
- Preventing tooth discoloration - You can get a yellow and stained tooth from drinking coffee, soda or tea. Tooth whitening doesn’t always work for extreme stains. Porcelain veneers not only cover stains but are also stain resistant, helping you to avoid future problems.
Advantages of Porcelain
With a single veneer treatment, you can enjoy multiple benefits which are:
- They are identical to your natural teeth - These are durable and prepared to mimic the original teeth.
- It is remarkably quick procedure - The veneers can be fixed in just two or three visits. It does not need an extensive procedure like extraction or root canal.
- It is stain resistant - Porcelain is resistant to stains from food, beverages and smoking.
- It is durable - If you follow the oral-care processes, they can last between 10-30 years. Veneers made of composite-resin chip easily and need more maintenance. They also suit the gum tissues better.
- Anyone can benefit from it - You can use it for one tooth or several teeth or to cover any sort of aesthetic issues. They are compatible with other treatments like whitening, fillings and bridges. Keep in mind that it is not a solution to decay or gum problems.
How Will They Be Applied to Your Teeth?
In your first appointment, your dentist will take a series of digital photographs, x-rays and impressions of your teeth. If you have any expectations and dental needs, state it clearly.
In the next appointment, you will be kept comfortable with a local anesthetic and a mild sedative, while the surface of the tooth is prepared for the temporary veneers. They are designed as per your teeth measurements and can indicate if any changes with the fit and the color are required.
The accurate permanent ones will be cemented to your actual teeth in your next visit. There is no recovery time, unless you opted for sedation. You can immediately go about your daily routine, including physical activity. If you initially experience sensitivity, avoid hot, cold and hard food substances. After it wears off, you can return to a normal diet.
Please view our veneer smile gallery to glimpse through the stunning smiles created by our team. Choose our family dentists for the best solution to your and your family’s dental needs. Contact us today and learn more about the services available at Integrity Dental clinic.